Monday, November 20, 2017

Lantana Hummus and Stuff

I recently discovered this Lantana hummus at the grocery where I work. I've had five flavors now and they are all outstanding. My two favorite flavors are the carrot sriracha and the spicy yellow lentil hummus. Last night I tried the sunflower which is made with sunflower seed butter instead of tahini. It's nice for people with sesame allergies and it has a nice creamy texture with a nutty taste. I haven't seen this brand at any other stores, but I'm sure it's out there. They all have interesting toppers too. Like the spicy yellow lentil has a little apricot and pine nut topping, so it's just a little bit of sweetness with the spicy.
Awhile ago I bought these rice ramen noodles on sale at Natural Grocers. I finally remembered the miso paste last week so yesterday before work I made vegetable miso soup with baked tofu. I added a bunch of the cruciferous vegetable mix from Trader Joe's. It has kale, broccoli slaw, Brussels sprouts and red cabbage. Still getting those probiotics in as much as I can!
For dinner after work I had oven fries with a creamy pesto dipping sauce. I had the tiniest bit of pesto left so I mixed it with some vegan mayo. Soooooooo good!! I seasoned the fries with salt and pepper, garlic powder and nooch. Yum.
I actually had someone ask me where I get my protein as a vegan the other day! I haven't been asked that question in so long I forgot it was a question! I think it took me a few seconds to recover and respond because I guess I thought that question was laid to rest. I love it  when people are looking at you like you must be malnourished except that you are clearly healthy!! I sometimes find it so hard to bite my tongue when people ask dumb questions or make excuses for not being vegan.
Here is something that isn't annoying! Well, Miss Independent Joan is probably annoyed but Kanye doesn't care!




11 comments:

  1. This might be a lengthy comment LOL

    The times I have been able to find Lantana's Hummus I have enjoyed it. I can't wait to find more of it! I was happy to see the two you posted! Woot! They both sound great!

    The Rice Ramen bowl looks pretty awesome, too! WOW! I need to do more with those noodles and soon!

    Miso is one of those things I always forget I am out of and then I don't buy it and then I need it and don't have it and OYE...lol...so I usually end up mustering a substitute of braggs/coconut aminos or something.

    I know what you mean about the famous 'protein' question. Oye Vey! I thought it was burried, too! Guess not. Just when I think people get passed it - it comes back from the dead.

    More recently it has been the B12 and Calcium questions. I almost can stomach those as questions, ya know. But the protein question...good god! Not that we lack B12 or calcium either but for some reason those don't bother me as much LOL

    The cats are looking cute as ever!

    Your Pesto dipping sauce sounds top notch, too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pesto/mayo combo was so good! I know I've seen pesto mayo places but I think this was my first time trying it.

      Delete
  2. I've seen the carrot Lantana hummus, and I almost bought it and decided on another brand. I need to try that! I haven't seen the sunflower one, but I LOVE sunflower seed butter. Must find! Also, I LOVE those Lotus Foods noodles. I eat them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carrot hummus is SO GOOD!! It's always the first flavor to sell out where I work.
      The Lotus noodles are so good! I think that's my first time trying them. I will definitely buy them again!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a fun brand of hummus, though a lot of spicy flavours there. ;)
    Pesto in mayo is a great thing, I am going to crack open a bottle of pesto soon for a recipe that won't use it all, so I think I will add some to mayo for some dipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a lot of spicy flavors. They have a three pepper spicy flavor that is like WOWZA!!
      Pesto and mayo go so well together!!

      Delete
  4. The hummus flavors sound amazing and that ramen looks perfect! I was thinking about having ramen for dinner tonight and I think that sealed it for me. Such photogenic kitties you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized I don't eat nearly enough ramen! I'm going to have it again today before work!

      Delete
  5. That photo of the noodles is mouthwatering! You're certainly upping the ante on your food staging, lighting and photography. Plus I always love your colorful bowls and glassware. Kicks everything up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! I feel like my pictures are suffering because now I eat my last meal so much later. But the noodle dish had natural light. Anyway thank you! Thrift store plates for the win!

      Delete
  6. That hummus looks awesome! The sunflower seed one sounds especially good.
    I love miso SO much- i actually make it as just a miso broth to sip like a savory tea all winter (i always have to be careful my water is simmering not boiling so i don't kill the good bacteria in there). Nice addition of the cruciferous crunch blend, i love using that for soups too.

    Totally brilliant decision to add some mayo to the pesto! I'll definitely try that soon since i have both the mayo and pesto :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete